Accidents are called accident for a reason. No one plans on them. They are unexpected and always come at the worst times. One of those bad times, during a severe winter storm. Many people don’t know what to do if they end up stranded on the side of the road. They plan on calling their roadside service. And that is a good idea, if it is possible. Road side services, like the kind offered by BMW of Oyster Bay, but what happens if the roads are bad and the road side service can’t some to pull you out of a ditch for hours, or even the next day. What if your cell phone is dead, you forgot it, or it got broken during the accident? What do you do then?
Remember these tips if you are stranded to stay safe.
- Do not leave your car. Unless you are absolutely certain where you are, where you are going and know that someone will be there. You do not want to be wandering around in a storm and take the chance of being caught in the middle of it with no protection.
- Make sure you have a car kit in your car. Use the flares in the kit and put at least one in the front and one in the back. These flares make your car easier to be seen. It helps another car to not hit you by accident, but it also lets others know you are there in case it is someone who can help, like a police officer.
- Since it will start to get cold quickly without the heat on, use a blanket or extra clothes to bundle up. It is best to make sure you have these things in your car safety kit. You never know when you might need them.
- If there is enough gas, every hour, run the car for 10 minutes. This will help keep you warm. Be sure to crack the window if you are running the car. Just enough to let the fumes out. If you can not run the car, make sure the windows are close tight. You don’t want to lose the heat that you have.
- Do not fall asleep. You do not want get too cold or you may not see help if it comes. Stay awake.
No one wants to be in an accident. No expects to be. Everyone thinks they are a good driver. It is not always your fault that causes the emergency. No matter the reason of the accident, always be prepared and know what to do.