Mom, what’s for dinner? Making meals for everyone can be challenging. It is something that the kids say every night. And some nights, it seems, no matter what the answer is, someone doesn’t like it or want it. Deciding what to feed your family can be very stressful, especially if you have a picky eater in the group. It’s important to make healthy meals but at the same time, you want your whole family to enjoy their meal.
Instead of getting stressed out over mealtime, try these tips for making meals everyone will love:
- Serve tacos, pizza or other dishes where you put the meal together yourself. For example, when serving tacos, each member of the family gets to choose their own toppings. This helps those fussy eaters pick and choose what to eat.
- Have the main course and two or three side dishes. This way, everyone can pick the sides they want. If someone doesn’t like the main course, they will still have plenty to eat. It’s also a great way to introduce new foods to picky eaters.
- Always serve one dish with other foods that you know everyone will eat. This way, if you have a picky eater that might not eat anything else you offer, they will at least have one thing they like.
- Keep trying to serve new foods. Sometimes it takes kids, and those picky adults, a while to come around to new foods or foods that they don’t like.
- Don’t turn into a short order cook. Have options and choices for fussy eaters, but don’t make different meals for everyone. Cook what you are planning and expect them to eat it. But don’t push new foods. Let the picky eaters choose what they will eat, but don’t make something different.
People have different tastes, which makes it hard to accommodate everyone. It’s even harder when you have a large family. These tips can help make mealtime a little less stressful, while making sure everyone in your family has something they love to eat at every meal.