With the price of gas these days, who doesn’t want to get better gas mileage? I cringe when I fill up my van because sometimes it takes close to $75. While you may not be able to control how much the gas costs, you can do a few things to help manage how much gas you’re using in your vehicle.
How to Get Better Gas Mileage
Let’s take a look at some ways you can get better gas mileage:
- Check your tire pressure regularly – If your tires are properly inflated, you can improve your gas mileage by up to 3.3%. So the opposite is true. If your tires are not inflated to right amount, you are leaving money on the road.
- Have your engine performance checked – This can improve your gas mileage by up to 4%, sometimes more in older vehicles. As the parts break down, they tend to use more gas, even if it is not showing signs.
- Always use the right oil – You should be sure you’re using the proper grade motor oil for best performance of your vehicle. This means you will burn less gas.
- Replace clogged air filters – Air filters will eventually get clogged. If you replace them, you ca improve your gas performance.
- Address maintenance issues – Don’t put off fixing things like a faulty oxygen sensor, or other minor repairs.
- Drive carefully – Avoid hard stops in stop-and-go traffic, try to drive smoothly and avoid quick accelerating or riding your brakes.
These are some very simple tips to help you get better gas mileage. You may already be doing some of these things, but if not, it really is simple to make the adjustments. Your savings will add up.
Now that you have these tips, you’re ready to start saving on gas. If you have other questions about cars, or if you’re looking to buy, come see us at Newark Chrysler Jeep Dodge.